BEST FAMILY GAME
- Dragon Quest Builders (Square Enix)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens (TT Fusion/Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment)
- Pokémon Go (Niantic Labs)
- Ratchet & Clank (Insomniac Games/Sony Interactive Entertainment)
- Skylanders Imaginators (Toy for Bob/Activision)
Predicted Winner: Pokémon Go
Personal Pick: Ratchet & Clank
Even though this category will get overlooked by a lot of gamers that view themselves as hardcore and too old for family games, this is a really tight category. Every game (besides Pokémon Go in my opinion) is fantastic. Even though I think Pokémon Go wins because of the reasons mentioned previously, Ratchet & Clank just narrowly beats LEGO Star Wars for my personal favorite out of the pack.
Don’t overlook LEGO Star Wars though, it’s going to be the first LEGO game that makes my top 10 at the end of the year. It’s a wonderful game for all families.
- FIFA 17 (EA Vancouver/Electronic Arts)
- Forza Horizon 3 (Playground Games/Microsoft Studios)
- MLB The Show 16 (SIE San Diego Studio/Sony Interactive Entertainment)
- NBA 2K17 (Visual Concepts/2K Sports)
- Pro Evolution Soccer 2017 (PES Productions/Konami)
Predicted Winner: NBA 2K17
Personal Pick: Forza Horizon 3
Yay, the category of games that just released the same version they did last year. Everyone get up in excitement. Anyone? Anyone at all? Didn’t think so.
I know the trendy pick is 2K because the series tends to do the best critically and commercially amongst the candidates, but Forza actually put a lot of effort into making a massive, beautiful racing game, one that is really impressive and feels unique for a racing game due to its incredible gameplay and level design. On that circumstance alone, it breaks miles away from everyone else in this category. If it were my pick, it wouldn’t even be close.
- Battlefield 1 (EA DICE/Electronic Arts)
- Gears of War 4 (The Coalition/Microsoft Studios)
- Overcooked (Ghost Town Games/Team17)
- Overwatch (Blizzard Entertainment)
- Titanfall 2 (Respawn Entertainment/Electronic Arts)
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft)
Predicted Winner: Overwatch
Personal Pick: Overwatch
Overwatch is the most talked about game this year. It’s primarily a multiplayer game. I’ve said it above and I’ll say it again, no way Overwatch loses this category.
MOST ANTICIPATED GAME
- God of War (SIE Santa Monica Studio/Sony Interactive Entertainment)
- Horizon Zero Dawn (Guerrilla Games/Sony Interactive Entertainment)
- Mass Effect: Andromeda (BioWare/Electronic Arts)
- Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar Studios/Rockstar Games)
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo)
Predicted Winner: Red Dead Redemption 2
Personal Pick: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Hoh boy, so many good choices here. Given how crazy the Internet went the day Red Dead Redemption 2 was announced, I expect that to get the coveted title to live up to next year.
Who knows though? Zelda is always a name that brings out excitement in any gamer, and Breath of the Wild has me more interested in the series than since I saw the first trailer for Twilight Princess. I might not be alone on that.