Without the U.S. launch of the PS Vita, hardware sales rose by 62% last month compared to January. The PS Vita’s four days’ worth of reported sales were enough to push that figure up to 87%, with Sony’s new handheld moving enough units to rival the entire month’s figures for each the Nintendo 3DS and Wii.
On the software side of things, Uncharted: Golden Abyss topped the PS Vita’s chart with enough copies sold to crack the entire month’s Top 20 across all platforms. Speaking of the overall chart, Activision’s Modern Warfare 3 and Square Enix’s Final Fantasy XIII-2 took the 1/2 spots, respectively.
You can check out the top software and hardware lists after the break.
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)** Activision Blizzzard
- Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3, 360)** Square Enix Inc.
- UFC Undisputed 3 (360, PS3) THQ
- Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (360, PS3, PC) Electronic Arts
- Just Dance 3 (Wii, 360, PS3) Ubisoft
- NBA 2K12 (360, PS3, PSP, Wii, PC, PS2) Take 2 Interactive
- Soul Calibur V (360, PS3)** Namco Bandai Games
- Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (360, PS3, PC)** Bethesda Softworks
- Twisted Metal 2012 (PS3) Sony – 221K
- Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC)** Electronic Arts
**(includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)
- Xbox 360 – 426K (-20.4%)
- PlayStation 3 – 360K (-11%) (PR Math)
- Nintendo 3DS – 262K
- Nintendo Wii – 228K (-50%)
- PlayStation Vita – 225K (PR Math)
- Nintendo DS – 135K
Anita Frazier, analyst at NPD, said the Xbox 360 was the top hardware platform for the seventh month in a row. Most other hardware platforms posted declines in the year. Sales of hardware were up 50 percent from January.
“There are four days of retail sales reported for PlayStation Vita in this reporting period,” Frazier said. “Overall, hardware unit sales increased by 62 percent over January without the Vita included. Including PS Vita sales, that increase is 87 percent.”
She said that new releases contributed 22 more unit sales than new launches in February, 2011. The top ten releases this month were 78 percent of total new release volume, compared to 94 percent last year.
“The top-selling PS Vita game for the month, not surprisingly, was Uncharted: Golden Abyss, which landed in the top 20 for overall title sales for the month,” Frazier said.
The only new intellectual property in the month’s top ten list was Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning from Curt Schilling’s 38 Studios and Electronic Arts.
“Three of the top 10 accessory items for the month were Skylander character packs,” Frazier said. “In total, these SKU’s accounted for more than $17 million in sales for the month, and if added to the sales generated by the software, Skylanders easily claims the top spot for content-related sales.”